Outstanding television production creativity from Austria, Australia, the USA, and Canada netted TV Programming & Promotion Grand Awards at the 2007 New York Festivalsâ€™ gala dinner and awards ceremony held February 2nd, at NYCâ€™s fabled Broad Street Ballroom.
Distinguished members of the New York Festivals International Board of Judges chose Grand Awards recipients from among the highest scoring Gold Medalists in the competition. Entries were received from television producers, stations, and networks in 36 countries around the world. Grand Award honorees are:
BEST PROMOTION SPOT/IDS (MUSIC):
- MUSIKVERGNUEGEN, HOLLYWOOD, CA, USA; ESPN: - A bold, inspirational, majestic, orchestral theme providing an expansive counterpoint to visuals which transform an entire city into a huge playing field for ESPNâ€™s NFL Monday Night Football launch.
BEST NEWS PROGRAM INSERT:
- CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION; THE FIFTH ESTATE: ROGUE AGENT - An original investigation into the high-profile contract murder hit NHL star Mike Danton took out on his agent.
- THIRTEEN/WNET NEW YORK: NATURE:THE QUEEN OF TREES - A delicate dance of survival depicting the love story between natureâ€™s oddest couple: a tiny wasp and a giant fig tree. Their remarkable story is distinguished by spectacular close-up imagery captured in Kenyaâ€™s outback.
BEST ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAM:
- ORF AUSTRIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION, VIENNA, AUSTRIA: DAS EIS BRICHT/BREAKING ICE - A mother and fatherâ€™s relationship cannot withstand the emotional conflict between them as their two children, rescued after half an hour at the bottom of a frozen lake, lie in comas from which their doctors do not expect them to awake.
BEST CHILDRENÂ€™S/ YOUTH PROGRAM:
- THE AUSTRALIAN CHILDRENÂ€™S TELEVISION FOUNDATION ENJOY ENTERTAINMENT, FITZROY, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA:MORTIFIED - An irreverent, affectionately told story about a misfit on the verge of adolescence and her retreat into a rich, imaginative inner world of surprisingly reality-anchored adventures.
"Best of Show Awards represent the epitome of production and creative excellence," remarked New York Festivalsâ€™ CEO Jimmy Smyth. "Each of this yearâ€™s winning productions is eminently qualified for its special honor."
ABOUT THE NEW YORK FESTIVALS: Now celebrating its 50th anniversary, New York Festivals (NYF) is an International Awards Group (IAG) Company. Recognizing The Worldâ€™s Best Workâ„¢ in advertising and programming, IAG and its sister shows, AME, Globals and Midas, honor creativity in global communications through eight annual competitions. NYF now has representation in more countries than any other media competition. For further information visit: www.newyorkfestivals.com